View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #598
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: If YOU were Joe Calzaghe, would you come out of retirement to fight Andre Ward?

Bailey,

Part 2.

Quote:
Loudon that is pathetic. Jones admitted Calzaghe wanted to face him and i showed you links from 00, 01 and 02. Enough said
Pathetic?

Roy acknowledged that Joe had wanted to fight him for a while. That's all!

That does not support Joe's claims, that he chased Roy for 6 years!

Quote:
How many more times Loudon.
He called him out and made an offer.
He was not going to lose his title and earning potential for a fight that might not happen. Jones had to agree to fight him which he didnt. Same as Hopkins didnt.
Once again, why lose a belt and money unless it is definate?
Stop ducking that question
Around and around we go.

Roy didn't agree to fight him at that specific time, because he had better offers.

But if Joe had've took more risks, and was a name, then Roy might have WANTED the fight.

Do you not think Roy was taking a risk going up to heavy?

Did he have the same attitude as Joe?

Did he say to his team "If I'm absolutely guaranteed a huge money fight against Mike, I'll give up all of my 175 titles, but if I'm not, I wont!"?

Did that happen?

Roy won his first belt at 175 in 96. He was a proud unified champion!

What did he do?

He gave up all of his belts.

He beat Ruiz, and was desperate for a fight with Mike.

He didn't get it!

He'd given up his belts for Mike, and he didn't get his shot.

He then had to come back and fight Tarver, who he hated, for his belts back.

Joe played it safe!

Nothing in life is guaranteed. There were other ways of getting Roy, such as targetting DM. But he wasn't interested. If HBO offered DM $5M, they could have offered it to other fighters who were in DM's position.

Quote:
Didnt fight either of them then
Hop priced himself out, which you agree with.

DM wouldn't go to America.

Quote:
Read the links. Jones was talking of fighting him before that when Calzaghe was getting rid of Sheika and Woodhall, and again when Jones was beating Woods, so I would guess as that fight was between those that Jones would have taken notice
Ok I'll rephrase the question. Do you think Roy would have given any SERIOUS THOUGHT to Joe?

He was just a possibility, and nothing more.

Quote:
Once again
He was not going to lose his title and earning potential for a fight that might not happen. Jones had to agree to fight him which he didnt. Same as Hopkins didnt.
Whats McGuigan got to do with it? Are you that influenced by commentators? Suggest you start turning the volume down when you watch boxing in future, or else you will have identical scorecards as who ever is talking
NOTHING IS 100% DEFINITE!

No, but Barry was right, and Joe himself agreed with Barry's opinion.

Quote:
No it isnt. You were saying Calzaghe was unknown and not worthy but you dont think its relevant that some of Jones opponents were even lesser known
Double standards Loudon
Dear God, how many more times?

All of Roy's lesser opponents fought at 175 pounds.

Joe fought at 168 pounds.

The Fraziers, and Woods etc were mandatories. Nobody cared about them, but they moved up the rankings and got their shot.

Joe was never in the position that they were in.

Quote:
Yet O Grant at MW beating R Rhode and E R Sena does get Jones interested.
Brewer was more known than any of those names and as said there was also Mitchell, though you like to forget that, and other names Jones knew like Eubank, Woodhall, Sheika etc
But sure O Grant beating R Rhodes did the trick. Got it
At that specific point in 1998, Roy was looking to fight a southpaw. Del Valle and Reggie were southpaws. Otis got the call, and was happy with his pay. He took the opportunity. Zod says it was for around $300,000 Not a lot of money, but Otis got his opportunity to fight the best fighter in the world live on HBO.

At that point, Joe had only just beaten Eubank.

Quote:
As said, so was O Grant
Grant was happy to fight for peanuts, in America, at Roy's weight.

Before you say, so was Joe.

If he'd have been that willing, he'd have done it before their negotiations in 2002.

Quote:
Picking up vacated title opponents from DM
Is that all he'd done in his career? Nothing else?

Quote:
DM was champ and making big money in Germany, bigger than what could be made in America with bigger crowds.
Jones out rightly wouldnt go to Germany
You think that DM was making bigger money in Germany, than what he would have done against Roy, to unify the entire division?

Roy wouldn't go to Germany, and why should he have?

Germany was notorious for disgraceful judging.

He had the IBF, WBA, and the WBC belts around his waist. He was the unified champ!

Why should the worlds best fighter who had the 3 main belts, have to travel to Germany in 2001?

Never going to happen!

Quote:
Because they are different countries.
think its you that doesnt.
I get what you are trying to say, but you dont answer
It's been explained!!

Joe's dilemma was,

Give up his belt for a potential fight with Roy, THAT MAY NOT COME OFF.

Or,

Keep defending his belt for good money at home.

He was in the exact same position that Roy found himself in.

Joe wouldn't take the gamble!

Nobody is guaranteed anything.

You weigh up the situation, and then make your decision.

That's life!

Quote:
I cant say what the money would be and once again YOU DONT KNOW.
He wanted the Jones fight or Hopkins fight to be guaranteed, nothing wrong with that as anything else he would have been losing money.
What cant you see in that?
Seriously, how old are you?

Have you had much life experience?

Roy used to proudly walk around with his seven 175 belts! He gave them up to go for his dream fight.

He didn't get it!

As I keep saying, if he'd have gone to the U.S. made a name for himself etc, Roy, HBO and the American PPV audience MAY HAVE WANTED A JOE CALZAGHE FIGHT.

Quote:
But O Grant, R Frazier, C Woods etc were known enough
NO! HOWEVER, The organisations that Roy fought on behalf of, put those fighters forward, because they were ranked as mandatory challengers in ROY'S 175 WEIGHT CLASS, THAT JOE WASN'T A PART OF!

Please let me know when this sinks in!

Quote:
1999 he hadnt been a world champ that long and may have said that, but soon changed his mind as in 00, 01 and 02 he was calling him out. If he did make that comment, I expect there was more to it, as he spent alot of time as proven in the links trying to get Jones in the ring. Also he fought abroad on the Tyson undercard on what I think was HBO but dont know that for sure and called out Jones. Not just at the end of that fight but alot with media before, saying Jones would be found wanting against him. That was mocking, then put in a top performance and called Jones out again.
So in 1999, he didn't want Roy or tough fights. But 12 months later HE DID?

Jones would be found wanting against him?

Haha! Based on what??

Regards, Loudon.

Last edited by Loudon; 11-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Loudon is online now  Top