Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #145
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Haye v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
That's fine. But beating Mormeck amounts to zero in the heavyweight scheme. Of course it's probably still better than beating Audley Harrison.

Meehan danced and spoiled his way to a couple of decisions in 4-round charity bouts. Dempsey had him down and almost out in the last fight. Yes, it hurts Dempsey's reputation. But of course nothing like that would happen to Haye. He hardly ever fights, nevermind going on tour fighting professionals for charity.
It's silly to compare.
Audley was a joke fight, but if you look at it, was a European champion really less than a weight lifter cum boxer in Firpo?

As mentioned Dempsey himself only had 3-4 significant fights against 200+ pound men, Mormeck was bigger than most of his opponents

Both Haye and Dempsey became semi-retired

Quote:
Strange's definition of "stand out".
Beating two relics who were hardly relevant any more.

Like I said, Haye stood out because of his mouth. Is that was you are refering too ?
Both Ruiz/Valuev were around the same age as Willard and equally as successful in their era

Quote:
I rate Chisora as Haye's best win, all things considered.
I'd agree, as a performance, I think Chisora is overall his best HW opponent, against a bigger pressure fighter who stylistically doesn't suit him
PowerPuncher is offline  Top