View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #100
Mr Packer

vCash: 500
Default Re: The rise and rise of Australia's own Daniel Geale

This is the problem with boxing. Geale has mandate fights but goes for the money fight. The press and public say he is ripped off. But who should get the right to fight the champ, the guy who earned it, or the guy who brings the most money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Don Raphael's view of Daniel Geale and the WBA >>>

Now, I don't blame Geale one iota for electing to defend his IBF belt against Anthony Mundine, which is the fight on the board for him in January. Both hail from Australia, and it's a big-deal rematch there because it was Mundine who handed Geale his only loss, in 2009.

No, Geale is not ducking Golovkin, as some have suggested. It's simply a matter of economics. At the moment, fighting Mundine is far more lucrative than fighting Golovkin.

"Whilst I enjoyed unifying titles and being crowned the WBA super champion, it has become ultimately clear to me that it is impossible to keep all the belts," Geale said. "I am aware of my mandatory obligations. However, I felt that the challenge from Anthony Mundine was an opportunity to settle the score once and for all, and I want to thank the IBF for granting me the exception that creates a fight which will please all Australian boxing fans.

"As I proudly remain the IBF world champion, I wish the WBA and whoever they crown the same short-lived pleasure, as I will be coming to reclaim what is rightfully mine."

Mr Packer is offline  Top