Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs Joe Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Louis said he could not beat Marciano, because he did not like to be crowded. Louis like many boxer puncher's was at his best when he had space. It should be noted that Louis had some trouble in the first fight with Godoy's crouching style.

Marciano not only had a crouching style, he liked to fight up close, threw many punches, and hit hard.
I think Louis is overly criticised for the 'don't like people crowding me' thing - certainly in the 2nd Godoy fight he looked as good as ever in taking Godoy apart he looked to deal with the crouching and ridiculous aquatting from the knees and bending over at the waist touching the floor thing pretty amazingly in my view - his uppercuts and combos were second to none and he was also able to nail the half crouching head down Tony Galento with wicked shots with enough leverage to knock his 235lbs off his feet into the air and down at one point - this is Joe Louis we're talking about? Yes a crouching aggressive fighter is an awkward guy to fight coming in all the time but Joe Louis I one of the greatest heavyweights of all time I don't see Joe Louis just being over run because he can't cope with a crouching style - this is a guy who retired with a what was 55-1 record with 49 men unable to finish the fight against him and the only time he did get upset it was one I the biggest upsets in history and took a sustained drubbing from a pinpoint puncher to stop him
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top