Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #24
Boxed Ears
I love GOAT.
East Side VIP

vCash: 25999
Default Re: Is De La Hoya overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
If a guy fought like Sugar Ray Robinson, but didn't win, then he's not great. If a guy fights like Carlos Monzon and puts together Monzon's record then he's still great. Greatness is about results more than style. Oscar looked better than he was.
It is about results but sometimes the results are about the judges too. And while he got one he shouldn't have over Sturm, he also got robbed in a much more meaningful fight against Trinidad and a big resume/notsobigmeaning fight in the second Mosley bout. In my opinion anyway. I think ODLH did the correct work and was robbed of the correct results, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD88 View Post
Judging from the opinions here, I would agree that Oscar is rated about right. He was very very good, willing to take on all comers and for that he should be applauded. Yes he blew the Trinidad fight, which is probably the biggest thing people hold against him.

I loved watching Oscar box, he was so quick and flowed really well, that left hand was a scorcher and he was involved in some very entertaining fights.

Is he the greatest of all time? No, but he had great abilities and beat some good names as well as losing to a few. If you mix it at the very top and are prepared to take on anyone then you are bound to take a few L's.

Oscar's place in boxing history is more than secure, it's selfish but I would like to see him take off the suit, dust off his trunks and have one more fight at around JMW or a catchweight against a fellow old timer. Win or lose. I didn't like seeing him go out in the Pacquiao fight the way he did, no disrespect to Manny, Oscar sought him out but he looked so bad at the weight. He doesn't have any reason to do it but it's something I'd like to see as long as he doesn't get hurt.
But, you're judging from the rating of diehard boxing fanatics on a classic boxing forum, instead of the greater boxing follower community. I think Tyson's rated fairly here too, but they can't even treat him like a great fighter on ESPN's coverage of HOF induction, these days. You know what I mean?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top