Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #61
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is De La Hoya overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Short memories, Oscar was called Chicken Delahoya from 97-99 when he/Arum avoided the Whitaker rematch and didn't unify. Then Oscar fights Oscar fights Quartey after his very serious case of Malaria and a Trinidad struggling to make weight. He gets a gift and a robbery decision imo. Everyone was calling for a Trinidad rematch, it never happened.

Oscar rebuilds, avoiding Forrest to fight a Mosley coming up in weight, loses, comes backs rebuilding his career, where he beats Vargas, a pretty good win. Still he avoids Winky Wright at 154 although eventually post Hopkins he did offer him a lowball sum for a fight. Instead he rematches Mosley who was 0-1-2 coming into the fight again going up in weight. He probably deserved to win that one

He fought allot of top names, but he did want the deck stacked in his favour, make no mistake, even at the end, Mayweather at 154 and Pacquaio moving up 2 divisions. Vernon Forrest asked laughing 'can I fight Marquez'

No he didn't lose all his big fights, he has some quality wins, he's a very very good fighter, but not better than Forrest or Quartey or Wright for my money, he just got more big fights (stacked in his favour) being the bigger draw, some he lost, some he won

Let's not pretend his career wasn't very cleverly stage managed or he took on all comers either as good as some of those names on his record are
Forrest and Quartey are as good welterweights, and Wright is a better 154 fighter, but don't forget that DLH probably is probably a more natural 140 pounder.

At 140 pounds, I think DLH is better than all the guys I mentioned above in their best divisions.

Oscar rarely cleared the confusion from his big fights by offering rematches, which was kind of disappointing, but he did face a lot of quality guys regardless, stage managed as his career was.

Personally I'd call him great.

Not top 50 great, but great nonetheless.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links