View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #60
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

To reastablish a true "lineage" once again we'd nearly have to have a division by division "Super 6" like was done at 168 (where there is no doubt that Andre Ward is the man there now).

For 17 or so divisions that is probably unlikely to ever happen with the vested interests of the big promoters blocking a lot of the fights that would need to be made and boxing as a whole needs to happen.

So as it stands we'll have to trawl through history books to find out who the lineal guy truly is. I mean who was lineal champ at 168 when Jones beat Toney? Buggered if I know and once all these super and junior divisions came into being on top of the alphabet titles the lineal title waters were further murkied to be almost inpenetrable to all but the most dedicated hard core fan.

As an example of the cheapening of the term "world title" I watched Tyson-Douglas back to back before Wlad-Wach and my wife (who doesn't like boxing) of course knew Tyson but also Douglas and Holyfield who was just sitting ringside, as heavyweight champs. She hadn't heard of either Wlad or Wach, yet Wladamir has been a titlist for longer than Tyson ever was.

This malaise that hangs over boxing won't go away until there is a complete overhaul of the rankings and a complete scrapping of, or unification of the WBC,WBA,IBF,WBO...etc etc. If it doesn't happen and we keep missing out on the Floyd-Pac fights then boxing will keep it's slow inevitable drift to minor league "niche" sport, if it isn't there already.
young griffo is offline  Top