View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #65
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Well, this is where I'd have my dispute with Ring magazine.
Tate had wins over Duane Bobick and Kallie Knoetze.
But Shavers was coming off a 1 round KO over Ken Norton, who had lost a very close 15-rounder to Holmes and was being lined up for rematch. I would have had Norton a solid #2 going into the Shavers fight, and when Shavers destroyed him I'd put Earnie at #2 with no qualms about having him above the guy who beat Bobick and Knoetze.

That's not taking into consideraton a huge factor and since for that matter. Who was the guy promoted by?

That factor determined the ratings. Norton was not #2. He was an independant fighter that did things on a fight by fight basis. Tate was the #2 guy and that's because he was Arum's guy. Actually Arum's other guy--Leon Spinks was still way way up there.

Holmes and Shavers were DKP guys. Earnie's form going into that title shot was the draw with Ali. Then immediately afterwards a lopsided affair with Holmes. Then ancient Norton. Nobody liked the Acorns chances in that rematch with Larry because he was older and Larry had already dominated the guy recently.
zadfrak is offline  Top