View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #78
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
I would probably agree, though we'd have to take great care unilaterally overruling the recognized rankings body. Ultimately, Holmes is to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Whoever emerges as the dominant premiere fighter becomes the world champion? On the contrary, whoever emerges as the dominant premiers fighter remains only that until and unless he defeats his nearest rival as recognized by the authoritative rankings body.
I have no problem disregarding (I wouldn't say 'overruling' ) the Ring rankings, just as you don't have a problem disregarding their edicts on appointing new champions.
I find it a little contradictory that you'd call them the "recognized" and "authoritative rankings body" yet you won't recognize the name they put as the top under the heading "CHAMPION : ".

But I guess we all have our different take.

Quote:
The premiere fighter in the division isn't always the champion. They are different concepts.
I agree. But in the years after a champion retires, a new fighter can - and often does - emerge as the new champion by establishing himself as the premier fighter and consistently defending that claim.
Unforgiven is offline  Top