Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #19
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sonny Liston 'I Will Manage Floyd Patterson as Light-Heavyweight'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
"Highly intelligent" ?? Who rated him highly intelligent? Ive heard his associates say he wasnt as ignorant as he was made out to be by the press but I also remember plenty of interviews and press conferences with him and the guy was exactly what he was: a poor illiterate sharecroppers with a grade school education at best.

Its pure comedy to suggest he would have been anything but completely out of his depth in negotiations with well schooled businessmen. The thought itself of Sonny sitting across the table from some of the greatest minds in boxing is rather funny.

Nevermind that the fact that his criminal record and ties to organized crime would have prevented him from being licensed as such and would have prevented him from doing business in several states. He was already banned in New York and several of the states that New York had a relationship as a boxer, he would have never gotten licensed as a manager.

Floyd signing with Liston would have been career suicide. Besides, like I said, he made more money as a heavyweight than he ever would have as a light heavyweight.
Intelligence and education are two different things.
Liston was an illiterate. He couldn't read or write. His wife had to teach him how to sign an autograph.

Intelligence is a physiological trait and has nothing to do with education.

I agree with you that Liston was not equipped to be a manager, because of his questionable background and illiteracy. He may have had a vast knowledge of the ins and outs of the fight business. He may have been a good adviser.
BillB is offline  Top