View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #44
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I like getting hit, and I'm going to spar for first time tomorrow. Need advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Okay, well I've never sparred in a boxing capacity. I just assumed that when you spar in a boxing gym with rules, you try to do well against the other guy, including knocking him out.
No, no no no no no, kid.

Sparring is a constructive exercise, made for learning and growing.

You want to impress the coach, man? Pick something and WORK on it. Decide going in: Do you want to try out your jab and how to use it? How about moving your head to dodge punches? Maybe cut the ring and work the body?

Pick one or two of these things(I usually advise two, as it prevents you from becoming so one dimensional in your exercise that working on something becomes impossible), and drill them. Show the other fighter respect. Hit him only as hard as he's hitting you. DO NOT FOUL. And if you drop him(It should be a fluke, or just an exceptionally well thrown punch, which you likely aren't capable of yet), you help him up and you APOLOGIZE.

Sparring is an honorable, trusting exercise between two aspiring fighters. Treat it as such, and you'll make friends before anybody even knows your name.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top