View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
OMGWTF
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 535
Default Re: how effective would the lighter heavyweights be today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: People vastly overrate heavyweight size. There's a reason why it took so long to even bother with cruiserweight and why there is now no super heavyweight division. And why some of our best heavyweights either came from cruiserweight, or are the same damn size as your average cruiserweight on fight night. No, I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all, the size differences, sometimes very big ones, but there is way too much made of it. Styles and skill levels mean more at these weights than anything else, at the highest level.
This.

Its natural to over estimate size and muscle, its either instinctual or part of societal/media nurture or both combined.

Only the educated and or experienced know this.

Any kid or adult thats never seen a bodybuilder before would assume he is much stronger than a much smaller less defined less muscualr athlete, but its the athlete that is much stronger.

Most people would assume with "common sence" that a bigger man would hit harder than a smaller man, but they dont realise some people are very explosive and this is not visible till they move quickly or KO someone.

Since this is a speed and power endurance based sport and not so much a strength based sport, and since bigger men are extremely likely to be slower and less explosive with less cardio, the size difference dosnt make a huge difference.

I would go as far as saying its a disadvantage to be huge due to a lack of speed and endurance. Hence why huge guys only rise to the top when the competition pool is very low (as do middleweights like roy jones and james toney) point is they wouldnt make it into the lime light if there was the same level of competition as the 80's 90's etc

Throughout Tysons career they were saying this next guys just too big for tyson, and theve been saying the same thing throught history with other fighters like Dempsey, Rocky etc and I bet they will continue to say the same things in the future. In answer to your question the old greats would do exceptionally well especially within their division but also still in the HW weight division.

Last edited by OMGWTF; 11-15-2012 at 01:23 PM.
OMGWTF is offline  Top