View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: how effective would the lighter heavyweights be today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
It would enhance him if done correctly.

If he did body building to put the weight on then yes you are right it would work against him, he would be less enduranced and maybe slower (its shameful how much bodybuilding has crept its way into athletics./sports in general)

If it was done properly he would be an even harder puncher, faster, not much less endurance and more strength and a better chin.

People dont realize theres more than one type of muscular hypertrophy, and that sports science has had alot of advances since Marciano's day.

But having said that p4p he would probably be more optimal in a lighter weight division. (The best version of you isnt the best p4p version of you.)

Also you gotta remember people are bigger these days they have better nutrition consume more food etc who knows how rocky would have turned out if he ate what we ate. Its hard to compare eras there are so many complicating factors involved.
I don't want to be impolite but do you have any experience with strength and stamina training?

I'm no PhD in the subject but have been a pretty serious gym rat for 25 years or so. I know that probably qualifies me for nothing. However, in my experience both in training and competition, I would suggest that Marciano knew his best weight and it was in the low to mid 180's. Twenty pounds, let alone forty pounds, would have ruined him as a fighter. It would be like taking a 140 pound 5000 meter runner and having him add 25 pounds. He would go from world class to weekend warrior.

Marciano was small boned and small framed with extremely stubby limbs, narrow shoulders, not a particularly deep chest and a long, long torso. There is no frame there to build on. Furthermore, his style was based largely on stamina, relentless, hard punching. If he had slowed his work rate down he would have been easy pickings for even the smaller guys in his era.

There is no more wrong-headed suggestion on this board than that Marciano would be any bigger with "today's training and nutrition regimen". Simply not true. He was shredded and in immaculate shape... and he never starved a day in his life, feasting on rich, nutritious Italian-American fare from the mid-century.
Seamus is online now  Top
Sponsored Links