View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #142
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Giants are generally slower than smaller men, but not always, and certainly not in Wlad's case. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Wlad is one of the fastest heavies out there at the moment; only Chambers and Haye are faster, and it's really not by much as their one sided losses showed us. And he has some of the best footwork in the game, really an excellent command of distance. Fighters don't choose to fight him at the wrong range, he makes them fight at that range. Watch the Haye fight again and pay attention to how consistently he keeps Haye at the end of his jab, and how effectively he cuts down the ring. Those are premier skills regardless of size.
If you want to train for speed, you don't go finding a big man. That's plain. Wlad's speed is nothing like the vast majority of welterweights -who I always found tougher to handle than heavies -because of the speed. Not to mention the better technique that you could almost always assume correctly.

Wlad is objectively good with distance and commanding space. Giants learn that first. And yes his legs move well -for a big man. Sure. But he has not been tested by this sorry lot we have today, including Haye. I don't have to watch their fights against Wlad to note how amateurish they are.

Wlad's skills are not even close to even Bowe's skills, particularly in Holyfield I. Not even close. He has a basic game plan with a few simple nuances added in now and then that work well, given his size. But he is not a technician. That's just a damn fact.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top