View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #143
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
If you want to train for speed, you don't go finding a big man. That's plain. Wlad's speed is nothing like the vast majority of welterweights -who I always found tougher to handle than heavies -because of the speed. Not to mention the better technique that you could almost always assume correctly.

Wlad is objectively good with distance and commanding space. Giants learn that first. And yes his legs move well -for a big man. Sure. But he has not been tested by this sorry lot we have today, including Haye. I don't have to watch their fights against Wlad to note how amateurish they are.

Wlad's skills are not even close to even Bowe's skills, particularly in Holyfield I. Not even close. He has a basic game plan with a few simple nuances added in now and then that work well, given his size. But he is not a technician. That's just a damn fact.
Wlad is a far better operator than Bowe because he has learned how to dictate pace and distance and keep out of the line of fire. Those are far more effective skills than thinking at 6-5 with 82" reach you can trade on the inside every fight. Call that approach skilled it you want. I call if foolhardy... and Bowe's short career bears me out. Wlad learned to fight to his assets, something Bowe did not learn.

Wlad also does some very cute things with a snaking right hand, hooking very hard off the jab, and changing pace on his devastating jab.

The first thing a coach tells you when you are 6-5 is to fight big not small. It's fairly basic.
Seamus is offline  Top