View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #69
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Isn't it funny how most UFC fans don't like boxing, yet want to see more stand up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Basically agree with this, except the bit about as the sport develops you'll see "fewer 'punchers chance' moments". I think MMA is always gonna throw up unpredictable results just due to the amount of varied weapons, differing scenarios and variables that come into play. Depth of fighter pool or lack of is also an issue as this can lead to on paper mismatches.
I think it has already happened. The ground game has already become something of a dead-end for a lot of fights where adequate time isn't given for someone to work a better position. We used to see almost endless locks and chokes, and then with GnP a few years later, but now a better all round skill-set is nullifying a lot of that (along with a few rule changes).

The stand-up game will develop many of the subtleties that already exist in the more focussed stand up sports. It's just a matter of time, they just won't be as refined. I do however agree that there will likely always be a few more 'punchers chance' moments than in a focussed sport such as boxing, that's simply because it's impossible to be as equally good at everything than you could be if you trained in only one discipline....but the sport will still develop and we'll see more fights going the distance.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top