View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #122
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: who is the greatest of all time? vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
A totally & absolutly mindbending acheivement that really in all truth belongs in a pulp fiction novel

I first heard of Homicide Hank from my old man, i was yapping the praises of my own generation & he suddenly blew up & said yer no SHYTE!! Henry Armstrong would have thrashed these pricks today within an inch of there lives, one after the other! I stood gob wide open as i'd never seen him flip before Thats when he roared out how Armstrong held 3 title's at once!!! I could'nt take it in! How can yer hold 3 at once i squeaked! Easy when you're that good he replied & then went onto explain how henry jumped between the weights battering all in sundry & then added, if yer don't believe me yer little prick go look it up & with that i skulked off well chastened
True D, but lest we forget Harry Greb had FORTY FIVE bouts in ONE year WINNING them ALL...How great Hammerin Hank was Harry Greb was BETTER in that a Fritzie Zivic would never had stopped Greb even in the twilight of his career . Greb fought and beat more HOF champs than
Armstrong did , licked great LHs and heavyweights, fought the last FIVE years with the sight of only one eye,and had 119 MORE recorded bouts than Armstrong did...What made Greb a greater fighter than Henry was Greb was more versatile, took less punishment in his fights as Harry was
bouncing to and froe, throwing unlimited barrages of blows, and NEVER giving his opponent the ball as they were too busy defending themselves.
I have Greb, Armstrong, Robinson, Benny Leonard, Langford and old Fitz
as my top NON heavyweight All time greats, for what it's worth....
P.S. I saw a past peak Armstrong lose vto Ray Robinson and Beau Jack
at MSG. Robby won an easy decision over Armstrong playing with him and my favorite crowd pkeaser Beau Jack outsped ole Henry...There will never be another Henry Armstrong with a pulse in the low 40s...Cheers.
burt bienstock is offline  Top