Sonny Liston - Had To Lose In Lewiston, Maine
May 25, 1965
Sonny Liston, had to lose in his Championship Bout with Cassius Clay.
1) Every boxing commission in the United States had already banned him,
except for the State of Maine.
2) Even if he had won, there was no place he could have defended his
3) Even in Europe, he would not have been able to get a bout with a
4) Sonny Liston would make 5-times more money as an Officer in I-C-P
promoting Cassius Clay's next fight, than if he had won the Heavyweight Championship
and received a fight purse.
5) If Sonny had won, there was no way a 'third bout' with Cassius Clay
would take place anyway.