View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #53
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: how effective would the lighter heavyweights be today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
Alot of trainers and fighters are thick. Plain and simple.

It makes me cringe to hear the term bulking up when used in the context of sports or athletics.

Bulking up which is what bodybuilders do, it WILL absolutely make you slower, and less enduranced. Its utterly insane to "bulk up" if you are a boxer.

You can put on weight the right way though. Its clear not many people know how or what im talking about.
No offence but you don't have a clue what you're talking about and boxers have always bulked up - Jack Johnson, Sam Langford, Floyd Patterson and Jack Dempsey

There's simple reasons - you don't get pushed around, you can push your opponent around more and you have more weight behind your punches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
You caught me? Really? The argument for low reps/high weights versus high reps/low weight for endurance have bounced back and forth to extremes over the last few decades. I should know because I'm old and have spent too many hours of my life in gyms. But seriously, the experts used to say the opposite of what they say now, and they probably will again.

All I know is that I'm Rocky's height with longer limbs and bigger frame and would never box at 210-220 (In the past I boxed between 160 and 180). That's just me. Maybe he is just some physical freak when he reaches bowling ball proportions. Somehow I doubt it.

Again, I don't have a degree in this stuff, just personal experience from 25 years of going to the gym almost daily, and reading all the articles and trends (they are always changing so don't tell me the latest and greatest is going to be seen as such in 10 years).

The Morrison comparison you made is all wrong from even a physical perspective. Firstly, Morrison was much bigger framed, a wide body with height at 6 foot 2 and respectable limb length at 77" reach. Secondly, he was a major roider. Thirdly, Marciano would never go for the pec implants.

OK, are we off topic enough yet?
I suppose you could use Tyson and Tua as examples of guys who carry the weight, Toney to. Is Marciano a mesamorph to carry that weight that weight, I'm not sure
PowerPuncher is offline  Top