View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ike Quartey... School me on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
What a jab. What a jab.

The way he steps with it AND snaps his shoulder into it. It's quite literally the perfect, fundamental way to throw a jab.
I don't know how accurate it is to say that he stepped with his jab. In fact, he leaned his weight onto his front foot when he threw his jab and thus was unable to step with it. While this gave him a lot of pop in his jab, it also kept him from being a great, or even good combination puncher in most cases. Most guys with a good jab also follow with a good right hand and Quartey rarely did because he rocked his weight forward to jab, then had to rock it back again in order to turn his weight into his right hand. So instead of a 1-2 he threw a 1 and a 2. If he threw the "2" at all. He was generally a jab and jab again guy.
Two fights to watch. His fight against Vince Philips, who pressured him constantly. Quartey threw beautiful combinations and won easily against a guy that was right in front of him. The other is the fight with DeLaHoya. Watch how Ike is unable to close the distance in the rounds where he has Oscar hurt because of what I described above. Also, the fight against lopez, the draw. The jab is always there, but nothing comes behind it, again because of the way he rocked his weight onto his left foot to jab.
greynotsoold is offline  Top