View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #174
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko now holds the record for the longest reign in heavyweight boxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
You find boxing welterweights a tougher assignment than heavyweights ?
That's unusual.
Mickey Walker said that heavyweights were easier. Moore did too. And Burley. Greb went up and picked on them dozens of times.

If you know what you're doing technically and have speed -and historically speaking, lighter weight divisions are more skilled than the heavies, size doesn't matter quite so much. Their shots tend to like blunt force objects but you see them coming and can get out of the way or get under. Now something like Hearns -well, that's another story all together.

Quote:
I think most of the recent lot lack intensity rather than technique.
Looking at the Ali-Frazier-Foreman fights I see a hell of a lot of stuff that could be called "amateurish" (for want of a better word), but they make up for it in their intensity, hunger to win, making them entertaining to watch.
I see it as often-times woeful technique and bad conditioning to boot.

Quote:
How do you define a technician ?

I'd say Wlad shows more "skill" than Bowe, but maybe not as many "skills".
If a fighter can use a limited amount of techniques and stick to the same formula over and over with great success by making the right moves at the right moment and dictating pace and distance etc. that is a demonstration of GREAT SKILL, or ring generalship.
Not to nit-pick but it's ring generalship.

By my way of thinking, a fighter who cannot fight inside isn't a technician. One who can, probably is. It's a rule of thumb that rarely fails because it's very difficult inside and takes an awful lot of skill to manuever there, avoid shots, and land your own. There are not only two fists, but elbows to watch out for, knees, the head, and it's hard to see in there because your head is low and you have to go on muscle memory and 'feel.'
Stonehands89 is offline  Top