View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #36
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ive been told most pro boxers dont snap there punches, WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
You can follow through but is extremely difficult. To snap a punch you have to anchor ur footing. Is hard to generate that snap while stepping into your opponent. Most boxers uses it on the defense as their opponents walk into to them.

Also for example and anyone can test this.

If you have a heavybag at home. You can snap a punch and the bag will barely move. Why? should be obvious.

Now put your weight into your punch and drive it through will send the heavy bag much further for obvious reasons.

Whenever i spar/box someone i like to snap my punches at them to make my opponents weary. They see the speed and is eye catching but when they get hit, it stings them and cause them to hesitate but in reality i've caused little damage.

Snapping shots are also harder to counter. Depending on what type of style you want to be will greatly impact how often you throw them.
The bag and how much it moves is no indication of force at impact, that's a measure of force over time (Impulse and momentum). If you're punching the bag with power at the proper range it should barely be moving at all. As I said before it sounds like you have a habit of leaning into punches, you should be rotating. Your snapping punches are arm punches obviously and not coordinated with the rest of your body. Very different from a snapping punch by a skilled practitioner. Look at McClellan for a good example of a guy who snaps his punches.
dealt_with is offline  Top