View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Thoughts on Bellew after last night. Is he ready for the elite?

I'll repeat what I said in the RBR last night before the fight started. I think Tony is a far better boxer when he relaxes and let's the punches flow rather than forcing things. His jab is very good and can open up any opponent for combinations and when he sets up attacks behind it, he's a dangerous fighter. To me as well, he's a puncher-boxer whose power comes when he doesn't wind up punches and just really snaps out the shots. He has a nice array of punches too and isn't just right hand happy which is good to see.

Last night, he rushed a bit at the start IMO and wasted punches although he got the 2 knockdowns. Then after the cut, he had to adpat which I thought he did very sensibly and let his boxing take over. He controlled the fight throughout and was composed and mature in the way he dealt with Bolonti.

He's developing all the time and is definitely ready for another step up. After 2 more meaningful fights, I can see him challenging the belt holders and putting up a good effort no doubt.
JFT96 is offline  Top