Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #85
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Broner is going to massacre burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
Katsidis had lost 2 of his last 3 and then went on to lose to a journeyman in his next fight. Pretty sure he's now retired aswell, having never won a world title. By contrast, DeMarco was the concencus #1 at the weight with wins over Linares and Molina and on the best run of his career.
DeMarco WAS NOT the consensus at the weight, unless you count by default. He beat Linares, who was more of a blown-up super-feather than a genuine LW champion. He also got stopped in his next fight, which casts his quality above FW and SFW into some doubt. He had no more right to be called that than Burns does. Abril has a better claim to that distinction.

And you want to use Molina as an example? His best win was over Hank Lundy and, beyond that, he hadn't managed much else and just lost to Ray Beltran in fact.

Quote:
I think anyone that knows the sport knows that Broner has improved tremendously since the PDL fight, just like Burns has since he lost to domestic level fighters like Alex Arthur and Carl Johannesson.
You made two mistakes there. One, you've suggested that my opinion on Broner is somehow flawed because, to use common parlance, I Don't Know **** About Boxing. Well, I suggest you look through my posts and reassess that stupid, baseless and arrogant assertion.

But actually, I'd advise you shut up because of reason two. If you think Broner has "improved", then more power to you. I look at it very differently. After the scare on the PDL fight, his brain trust change the sort of guys he was fighting. They're all straight ahead plodders who prefer to use their faces for defence (and is what they had expected with PDL). The one exception to that is Litzau, who's basically a chinless wonder with moderate ability.

Yes, he LOOKS improved, but only because he's fighting guys that don't pose him problems in the same way. Give him an opponent with better movement, a tight defence and who will control pace and range, and I suspect he'll suddenly look a lot less improved.
dftaylor is offline  Top