Thread: Larry Holmes
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #56
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes

I have him in my top 10 but I can not overlook the fact that he avoided all the co-champs in his era and unlike the ATG's he never rematch a tough or disputed fight. I can give him a pass for 1-or 2 but there were just too many instances that he avoided a fight he perceived as tough and I have to TAX his legacy because of it. He fought a lot of 10 fight, 13 fight 14 fight and 15-16 fight guys who were green...Its funny how a double standard is used against Dempsey for not fighting Wills and Greb while Larry missed Tate,Dokes,Weaver,Coetzee,Page and Thomas and he even gave up a title not to fight Page who was more cold than he was hot.

Also I feel he should have re-matched the 15 fight Witherspoon and Williams, Norton should have been an immediate rematch but like I said I will give him a pass for a few not being his fault but just too many misses in his ERA...hard to rate him higher than the low end of my top 10

He was the most fit fighter of the era and one of the best jabs I have seen and showed heart getting off the floor vs Shavers,Snipes and Tyson after going down hard but like I said I must tax him for the avoidance of many in one era.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top