Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #57
leverage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
Some here seem to want to put Louis up there. Louis was a great many things, but fast was not one of them. I have collected lots of film of him over the past several weeks and they show that he was a plodder. Boxers really messed Louis up, and that proves he wasn't fast.

To be honest, his stock in my eyes has fallen quite a bit because I have now seen so much film and I have been studying the records of his opposition. I used to be in awe of his record and mystique. Only three losses, all to champions. 25 title defenses (26, I have learned). Wow. The books about him are all flattering. But if you take the time study the reality, your own research will knock a lot of the shine off the numbers.

Larry Holmes was better than Joe Louis, and a major reason for this was that he was a hell of a lot faster. Combine speed with Larry's size and ring savvy, along with Louis' chin and porous defense, and Louis is some serious trouble against Holmes. Honestly, I don't think Holmes sees the 15th round, and not because he would be the winner.
I strongly dissagree, at least as far as HANDSPEED is concerned. Louis was very swift of hand and if you want proof of this, check out the fury of punches that he put walcott away with. Holmes never finished anyone with punches that fast, he basically pot shotted his opponents.

Holmes definitley had the faster feet, however.
leverage is offline  Top