Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Freddie Steele Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Great punching power as you mentioned. I think his relatively modest kayo percentage is deceptive because Steele fought so many excellent fighters, many of whom were incredibly durable and noted for their surival abilities.

Its often forgotten that Steele was even more famous for his spectacular footwork than for his punching power.

I definitely favor a healthy Steele over Hostak, who I rate higher than most on this foroum. I also would favor him over Zale, Basora, and he'd stand an excellent chance against Cerdan imo.

I think a thread pitting Steele with Georgie Abrams would be interesting. Reports suggest that many thought hardluck Abrams deserved a win over Robinson, and evidently a very big majority of observers thought Abrams handily outboxed Cerdan.

Abrams awkward wizardry against Steele's power and technical acumen.
FM, I saw the Marcel Cerdan ? Georgie Abrams bout at MSG in Dec, 1946. It was a close decision but I, my dad and the fans thought Cerdan won because of his aggresiveness alone...I can't recall any booing from the fans after Cerdan got the decision...Abrams was a tough MW to beat in his prime...
burt bienstock is offline  Top