View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post
Foreman never knocked Peralta down in 20 rounds and it's not like he didn't land either. Foreman had power but there is no reason for it to be mythologized the way it is. The entire myth of Foreman the destroyer is a house of cards, at best. I think Foreman is held up this way largely to prop up Ali's legacy, but that's another matter.

In his prime, Foreman was able to beat two limited though prominent fighters in Frazier and Norton with overwhelming physicality. But the reality is that Foreman could barely box. And whenever he met someone who could box and had a good chin, he was in trouble. I could also mention the little caveat that most of Foreman's stoppages throughout his career were against complete bums. And that many of them were under 200 pounds or otherwise not natural heavyweights.
You raise some valid points. Foreman, while being a very strong and powerful hitter, I think gets a little too much credit for his supposed SUPERNATURAL punching power. I mean, a lot of people make it seem like all George had to do was tap you lightly on the arm and your arm would fall off!
Most of his destroyer persona was based on his knockouts over guys who probably didn't have the best of chins in Norton and Frazier. No disrespect to those two guys (Frazier in particular), but they didn't have Tex Cobb-like chins.
And yeah, Foreman knocked Joe down 6 times, but Frazier kept getting up; he was up after the last knockdown albeit severely dazed.
Then during Foreman's comeback he knocked out a lot of bums, out-of-shape, inactive heavyweights and blown-up light heavyweights. And a lot of those guys were simply stopped and not knocked out.
And of course Moorer was never known for the sturdiness of his chin.
So, I agree that Foreman was a big, strong, hard-punching fighter, but I do believe he gets too much credit for his SUPERMAN punching power.

I'm sure there have been countless fighters over the years who have hit just as hard as Foreman; they just didn't make it to the world class level where their power would have become well known.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top