View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438
Default Re: George Foreman best bareknuckle fighter ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
You raise some valid points. Foreman, while being a very strong and powerful hitter, I think gets a little too much credit for his supposed SUPERNATURAL punching power. I mean, a lot of people make it seem like all George had to do was tap you lightly on the arm and your arm would fall off!
Most of his destroyer persona was based on his knockouts over guys who probably didn't have the best of chins in Norton and Frazier. No disrespect to those two guys (Frazier in particular), but they didn't have Tex Cobb-like chins.
And yeah, Foreman knocked Joe down 6 times, but Frazier kept getting up; he was up after the last knockdown albeit severely dazed.
Then during Foreman's comeback he knocked out a lot of bums, out-of-shape, inactive heavyweights and blown-up light heavyweights. And a lot of those guys were simply stopped and not knocked out.
And of course Moorer was never known for the sturdiness of his chin.
So, I agree that Foreman was a big, strong, hard-punching fighter, but I do believe he gets too much credit for his SUPERMAN punching power.

I'm sure there have been countless fighters over the years who have hit just as hard as Foreman; they just didn't make it to the world class level where their power would have become well known.
According to Holyfield,old Foreman hit harder than Lewis,Tyson and Bowe punch for punch. And in a recent interview Shannon Briggs said Foreman hit harder than Lewis and Vitali.
Now Norton and Frazier didnt have great chins but they had good chins and they were tough. When a fighter gets off the floor it is a testament to their toughness and not the power of the other guy dont you think?
Frazier got off the floor because he was tough as nails.
I doubt we can ever say who was the hardest puncher but Foreman had power,chin and toughness which made him world class.
Perhaps Tua,Shavers and even Magomed Abdusalamov are in his league in terms of power.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRt_Zv_1Oz0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwWynfQKLc[/ame]
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top