View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #218
moneypaysbills
That's Mr moneypaysbills
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kessler and Froch fans are pathetic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post

Hi pal, nice to hear from you.

Bat makes some good points, and I respect his opinion, but Like you I think 175 presents a bigger challenge now. I think Andre will stay at 168 just a little longer and see what happens with Froch/Bute/kessler. I'm hoping that Mayweather can kick start Andre Dirrell's carrer. If you could get Dirrell fit, with a strong mindset, he's a nighmare for anyone, including Ward. He's fast, slick, he's a southpaw, and he's a great fighter. But he's lacking mentally, and obviously he's been inactive.

But I think Andre will move to 175 within the next 18 months.

I agree. I think it's blossomed, and Andre has come out on top. Yes he could unify, but I think it depends what happens in the next 6 months. There's no huge names at 175, but there's good fights to be made. A rematch with Chad at 175 would be good. Like you say, he'd have to alter his tactics slightly at 175.

That's fair enough, and Bat agrees. I guess I was taken in. But my thinking was, if nobody thought Chad had a chance of making weight safely, and they thought there was a high percentage of him being hurt etc, then surely they wouldn't have signed? That was my interpretation.

I'll be honest with you, I think he'll miss Hopkins. I think Hop wants one more fight before he calls it a day. I hope I'm wrong, but if this was 2010, I think we'd already have heard from Hop regarding a potential fight with Andre. I don't think he's got long left. I can't see Andre up at 175 until late next year at the earliest. I think Hop will be gone by then. Unless he looks good earlier next year and they can have a catchweight if Hop's interested. But does he believe he could beat Andre? He's not normally this quiet.

Also, Hop hasn't looked that great in his last few fights, and Andre wouldn't get much credit. I like Clev, and that would be a good fight. Dawson with a few wins under his belt, and his confidence back could pose a big threat at 175.

I agree. There's potentially some good fights, with a clash of styles at 175. Apparently he has to fight the winner of Kessler and Magee, so we'll see what happens. I thought he'd have a lay off after the Super Six and then moved to 175. But he's been injured, and now I think he's just thinking things through.

There are some good fights out there for him. I understand that 175 isn't littered with star names, but what more can he do at 168? Is he bothered about unifying the division against a guy he's easily beaten? I think he will regret not fighting Bute. But at the time, I don't blame him for not taking the fight. Maybe some of the other 168 guys could move up to 175? It's going to be interesting.

Regards, Loudon.
Hi mate

You've made some great points here yourself

I think if anyone deserves one last shot at Ward's 168 crown it's Froch to be honest although I think style wise confident Bute is a better match up to face Ward. This is due to Ward being a somewhat soft puncher so less likely to hurt Bute than Froch. As well as Bute being a southpaw which always has inherent issues for an orthordox fighter. However, Froch has the belt so it makes more sense for him to have the shot again in Vegas or Atlantic city due to unification bout. Provided Ward beats Froch again which I think he will then it's time to move up to 175, not worth Ward's time to wait for Direll, Groves or Degale as for one reason or another none are ready right now.

There are no huge names at 175, but there are two big names left Dawson and Cleverly which as I've already said would be good fights for Ward and great wins for anyone of them.

As for Ward vs Dawson, I agree with what you said that they wouldn't sign but my guess has to be that they were paid well enough although I don't know if that's true as I've seen Dawson's payday being touted from $600,000 to $1.3m. Furthermore maybe they were under the false impression that Chad would be fine at 168 and were just mistaken.

As for the retirement of Hopkins you make a good point and I'm now in agreement that this fight should be filed under unlikely.

Ward's career at 168 has peaked and can't really improve due to what he's done. His overall career still has plenty of time and potential achievements left. Personally looking forward to Ward at 175 and respect that he's doing it earlier in his career than Joe even if there's no-one quite as good as 2008 Bhop although Clev and Dawson can't be far off

cheers
moneypaysbills is offline  Top