View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wills Turned Down $5000 Chance To Spar With Challenger Dempsey In 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I can't vouch for the veracity of Kearns article though, since it was printed in 1925 ,and Wills was very much alive ,you would have thought he was running the risk of libel if it was untrue.

Just for you P.P.

mate I genuinely don't profess to know how good Wills was or if he'd beat Dempsey or not.

I do think this Kearns article sounds exceedingly unlikely. Libel laws consist of proving something causes loss or damage and show some proof it isn't true

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I know he is 38 here, but Wills does look slow and ponderous against Paulino here in this decent print of their fight. The ko punch looks pretty innocuous but Wills seems to have gone back badly.

He looks terrible, but he was 38 and had already given up on getting that big payday so won't have had any drive anymore. Also think about how Ali looked at 38, think how Roy Jones looked at 38

If he wasn't much better than that Dempsey would KO him but I do think he was probably quite allot better than that
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links