Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
1. Dempsey turned down 200k to fight Wills, the offers were coming from London making the American commision irrelevant
2. Wills had to take the NY Commisson and Dempsey to the Supreme Court to force his status as mandatory challenger after Dempsey wouldn't agree to a fixed fight contract
3. Wills looked to force a fight by having an injunction against the Firpo fight.
4. Because of this Dempsey says he'll never fight Wills
5. Rickard says Dempsey will fight Wills the following October, nothing happens, Dempsey doesn't fight that year
5. The NYC Commission demands Dempsey to sign a contract after Wills successfully sues them
6. Kearns says Dempsey will only fight Wills if the commission financed the fight
7. Dempsey signs to fight Wills with his friend Floyd Fitzsimmons but renegades on it, it turns out the whole fight contract is a sham and there is evidence Dempsey. Dempsey instead fights Tunney who was the second opponent the commission would accept, yet Rickard was planning this fight before Wills-Dempsey fell through
7. No other attempt by Dempsey or his management is made to make the fight
Doesn't sound like the actions of someone wanting to fight Wills, it sounds like the opposite. If that isn't a duck I'm not sure you could accuse any fighter of ducking an opponent in history
Call it a duck if you like.
But the $200,000 dollars wasn't really much of an offer. Got any better ones ?