View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #43
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Sparring Partners - 'Talk About Cassius Clay vs Sonny Liston II'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Francis 'Lee' Williams,

A 29 year-old, 6' 1 1/2" 220 lb. Boston Heavyweight, a 1957 National A.A.U. Heavyweight
Champion.

By April 1965 -

With a record of 15-1-1 (14 KO's), 'Lee' could punch, and had a very good defense.

'Lee' had sparred many rounds with Sonny before the first scheduled bout in November
1964, and was again around in April/May 1965.

One of those $40 / Day 'sparring partners'.

Lee Williams, had stated that in the early sessions with Sonny back in 1964 before
the 'first scheduled rematch', Sonny was 'lost in the ring'.

'Sonny seemed to forget how to fight. Fighting a 'Frozen Floyd' was one thing, but
fighting guys who were not afraid of him and hit back, knocked all the confidence
out of Sonny. He now, doubted his abilities.'

'After '3' 3-Round sparring sessions with him, I was getting the best of him. He had a
sullen look in his eyes, one of realizing he was no longer invincible.'

'I never asked Sonny about the first fight with Clay in February 1964. I personally thought,
that Sonny 'threw the fight', so that they could 'scoop up the money' on the long odds.
It only made practical sense. But that was just my opinion.'
There was zero evidence of any big bets being placed on Ali to win the first fight, certainly none that would make it worth sellling the heavyweight Championship for.

Different thread, same shit.
mcvey is online now  Top