View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #39
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins - How great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Moving up and fighting Tarver, Pavlik etc isn't nearly the same as moving up to fight Qawi or Spinks mate. Hopkins could have moved up earlier to chase a rematch with Jones if he wanted but I suspect he knew that he would've no more luck than he did first time around (where he didn't do too badly all things considered).

Regarding the 'modern fighters get shit for not moving up', I'd say it was the other way around: most of today's guys get flack for too much weight jumping and not cleaning divisions out. It isn't the be all and end all really.

I've no great love for Hagler either, superb though he was.
He still fought roy jones, which is a far bigger risk than anything hagler was willing to do. I wouldnt be shocked if hopkins outboxed qawi by staying on the outside, spinks was great, but the other light heavyweights from that era get overrated. Qawi is a fighter i like, but he never beat a good fighter in his prime, most of qawi's wins are over shot fighters, something that ESB tends to ignore. How do you know for certain that qawi would whoop tarver? hes never really beaten a peak fighter, im sure tarver would have stopped a shot saad muhammad, a shot leon spinks, and a shot mike rossman.
ushvinder is offline  Top