View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins - How great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
He still fought roy jones, which is a far bigger risk than anything hagler was willing to do. I wouldnt be shocked if hopkins outboxed qawi by staying on the outside, spinks was great, but the other light heavyweights from that era get overrated. Qawi is a fighter i like, but he never beat a good fighter in his prime, most of qawi's wins are over shot fighters, something that ESB tends to ignore. How do you know for certain that qawi would whoop tarver? hes never really beaten a peak fighter, im sure tarver would have stopped a shot saad muhammad, a shot leon spinks, and a shot mike rossman.
Hagler came up through a far tougher middleweight division than Hopkins and had to wait ages to get his shot before going into the lion's den to face a good champion and winning dominantly before being showered in all kinds of abuse for doing so. He took plenty of risks. He was also 5'9 and had every possible pound packed into his frame; his body just wasn't suited to moving up, much less against a killer like Spinks. Even against the stronger middles like Minter, Sibbo, Vito, Briscoe, Hamsho etc he gave ground. Hopkins is about 6'0/6'1 and was able to gain weight far more effectively with the help of Shilstone.

Can't agree with you about Qawi, I don't think the old version of Hopkins would have touched him with a barge pole. His legs were far too diminished and he was more of a clever, scrappy spoiler at that stage imo, which isn't the way to go against Qawi whatever you think of him. I've already said I don't think Hops would have hung around at 175 if there were more world class fighters there, and I'll stick with that.

Jones is undoubtedly a great fighter in retrospect but can you say he was viewed that way at the time? If Hopkins was that much of a risk taker, why not pursue Jones when they were both at their respective peaks when it would have made mega bucks and settled the score? Instead of having a series with Robert Allen?

Anyway, I get the impression we're only going to go in circles here so we'll agree to disagree.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top