Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Earnie Shavers vs. James Toney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
thank you for pointing this out: neither lyle nor berbick had concrete chins and were able to take shaver's punches. the idea that one of shavers punches landing knocks out any man in history is silly....especially if the man has a chin like toney. take toney's own style and intelligence in the ring and combine it with shaver's own horrific finishing ability and I don't see a shavers knockout assured even if he lands that right hand CLEAN, right on the chin
If Shavers lands his right, it's likely to be on the back of Toney's head, or near his ear, which could badly affect his equilibrium. Peter landed that shot in their second fight and had Toney reeling all over the place. Thing is Shavers had such a tendency to blow his load trying to get his man out of there that if they survived, which was not unheard of, he was gassed to buggery and succumbed soon after.

I actually think Shavers would have more success with his left, which was an underrated punch (watch the Lyle fight). Whether he'd throw it with enough frequency and accuracy to be effective with it I don't know, but it should be a punch he needs to concentrate on if he wants to catch Toney's chin. He'd also have a lot of success with his right hook to the body if he can pin Toney against the ropes. The overhand isn't going to catch the sluracious one unless he's sleeping, IMO.
Absolutely! is offline  Top