View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #73
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: alex leapai. the southern hemespheres first heavyweight world champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
I don't have a problem if they want to bill those bouts as a World title fight because you can make a strong case for Pacquiao being the best Welter in and around that time as for most of it Floyd was either inactive or at 154 with Cotto.

Did I see it as he was without a shadow of a doubt the best Welter on the planet? No. He'd have to fight Mayweather for that one. Obviously there are times you might not be able to work it out until two top fighters face each other. That's been the case throughout the history of boxing. Good to see the WBO have billed the next Pacquiao v Marquez belt as being for the "Champion of the Decade" belt. Guess they didn't want to miss out on a fee.
I agree with most of your thoughts regarding world titles

But unfortunately it's not the way most of the rest of the world sees things.

Whether you and I like it or not, many bouts are billed as, and believed by the vast majority to be for world titles. When in reality they are often not lineal, not for an in-demand title, nor even contested between anywhere near the best fighters at that weight.

The original question raised by Sally referred to 'world champion'. Not 'lineal' champion.

Did Corrie Sanders become a world titlist/champion when he KOed Wlad and won the WBO title? Ask 10 people and prepare to get 10 different answers