View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #75
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: alex leapai. the southern hemespheres first heavyweight world champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I agree with most of your thoughts regarding world titles

But unfortunately it's not the way most of the rest of the world sees things.

Whether you and I like it or not, many bouts are billed as, and believed by the vast majority to be for world titles. When in reality they are often not lineal, not for an in-demand title, nor even contested between anywhere near the best fighters at that weight.

The original question raised by Sally referred to 'world champion'. Not 'lineal' champion.

Did Corrie Sanders become a world titlist/champion when he KOed Wlad and won the WBO title? Ask 10 people and prepare to get 10 different answers
Like I said, where do you draw a line in the sand? I certainly don't recognise the WBO Heavyweight title lineage. You can make a much stronger case for it at Middleweight. If most of the world recognise it, that's fine. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If Corrie Sanders was calling himself world champion, I wouldn't be upset. I just don't recognise it.

Not even Corrie's immediate family would've considered him "the man" at Heavyweight while Lewis was there. I remember the fight well. the general reaction was a contender had been rolled by a fringe contender, not a passing of the torch. Incidentally he binned the title to fight Vitali.

As for asking 10 fans, I reckon you'd get 3 answers. Yes from the newer age fans who generally recognise the lot. Interim titles etc and probably don't follow the history of the sport as intently. A yeah he was a belt holder from those who kind of recognise the WBO and a no from the more die hard and older fans. Just my opinion.
ipswich express is offline  Top