View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Langford vs. Louis

Sam has a very good chance with anything but a completely formed Louis. That is, you could drop Sam on Louis in 1937 or 1938 and you have to give him a very very good chance.

In some regards it'd be like looking in a mirror, the excruciatingly steady pressure executed by baiting footwork designed to draw the most devastating opening and the sudden, pastique ladened punches but Louis does certain things much better, not least the controlling jab, a punch that Langford never was that fond of. Louis had one of the very very best up until his time. This is the key punch in this fight and although it is the only one that arguably got better even in Joe's second career, it was absolutely superb during the early part of his title run too.

So I make Joe the favourite, taken in tandem with Langford's baiting defence and determination to engage. But i'd be more comfortable seeing this fight happen in 1941 with Godoy and Burman behind him. Langford's Schmeling + smarts and power could turn a trick even after Louis had laid the German low, but i'd pick Joe.
McGrain is online now  Top