View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Carlos Monzon vs Joe Calzaghe at 168 pounds.

Actually a very tough fight to call (for me anyway) I could see Calzaghe's size and speed playing a big part to the people picking him...Myself, I see Calzaghe as a great fighter...and I rate him highly. I think Joe's overall core strength in clinches is often overlooked. There was a period in the Hopkins fight, where Bernard clinched Calzaghe and Joe flung him around in the clinch...it made a believer out of Hopkins...as stated Calzaghe's speed, unorthodoxy, and workrate give Monzon plenty of problems. But Monzon does some things that would give Joe some problems too...first being Monzon was excellent at breaking another fighter's offensive rythym by strategically retreating and forcing an opponent to reset his pattern...this tactic would stall Joe's bursts...another thing Monzon was a very good body puncher with right hand uppercuts...If Monzon wasn't finding Joe's head, he would switch to the body. As the fight went on, Monzon would start to reel him in...but could he do it? Even in fifteen rounds?...Interesting fight.
dpw417 is offline  Top