View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Calzagge VS Prime Roy Jones Jr. Who wins and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Fair play

I think you're underestimating Joe somewhat, he was extremely tough and durable - certainly as tough as Hopkins who Roy landed good shots on but couldn't stop in 93, I struggle to see Joe getting stopped. He also had an excellent ring IQ, and Roy didn't fight 3 minutes of every round - I think around the 6th onwards he'll be feeling the pace Joe has set, and I think Joe will win rounds in the second half of the fight. But Jones will start fast and build a lead, while Joe will finish stronger, Roy will take the decision.

Also I doubt that quote would have affected his performance, he had cold feet against Lacy yet went in and put on a career best performance
I respect your opinion mate, but as the old saying goes, styles make fights.

Roy wasn't peak against Hop, and he had a badly injured hand.

I don't think Roy would ever have stopped Hop, but I don't think he'd have ever tried to either.

Joe, despite being great, was always easy to hit.

I don't think Joe's defense would have been good enough to stop Roy.

If he had cold feet against Lacy, what would of happened when he was facing Roy at 25?

You can't say, he went out and put in a great performance against Lacy. Roy at his peak was on a different planet to Jeff Lacy.

I think Joe's mental approach would have made a huge impact on the outcome.

You're opinion is, that Joe would press him hard and take over the second half of the fight. I respect that.

But my opinion is, he'd have been that cautious about Roy's offence, it would have made him sit back and it would have negated his own.

I don't think Roy would have knocked him out. But I think he'd have dropped him more than once, and eventually the fight would have been stopped.

Regards, Loudon.

Last edited by Loudon; 11-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Loudon is online now  Top