View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did Larry Holmes struggle against good jabbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
We all know Larry Holmes' jab is one of the best the sport has ever seen and I don't think there's any debating that, however I've been watching a fair bit of footage lately and noticed that those with a good jab seemed to have really troubled Larry. He looked great against the likes Shavers, Cobb, Berbick, Cooney etc, but many of these fighters had an average jab at best.

Looking at him against Witherspoon, Norton, Michael Spinks x2 (whether he won these fights or not he struggled very badly) and you could throw in Carl Williams there as well.

I'm not saying he would have lost to Thomas, but do you think Holms, and his team, knew this and played a big part into why Pinklon and Larry never thought? I would have Larry favourite for sure, but by his track record I think it would be very close, especially when you consider what a fantastic jab Thomas had himself.

It also makes me question how he'd match up H2H against the best jabbers the heavyweight division has seen like Lewis, Wlad, Ali, Norton (in his prime), Liston, Louis to name a few

Lots of face first guys he fought as title challengers. Man, does he look good against the catchers and no footwork opponents. That's always going to make for a mismatch in a Larry Holmes fight and he proved he can beat those guys through his late 40's.
zadfrak is offline  Top