View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #153
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from mate, and like I say, I was frustrated too.

I wish those fights with DM and Hop had have materialised, and I wish he'd never made Tarver fight Harding in that eliminator. If he'd have beaten Tarver earlier, he probably would have stayed at heavy a little longer, or gone to Cruiser, and his career might have turned out a lot different.

It was an absolute joke that Frazier was a mandatory, but Roy didn't have a lot of choice but to fight him, because he wanted to unify the division against Reggie Johnson. It would have been silly to kick up a fuss, but I don't know how he got himself motivated for that fight. He went on to fight Reggie in his very next fight.

Roy was supposed to be fighting Rocchigianni early in 2000, but something happened where he couldn't commit to the fight. David Telesco was his replacement. HBO wanted the fight with Telesco, and he'd been baiting Roy for a while.

Regarding Woods, I've heard Roy say that he didn't want the fight, but the IBF threatened to strip him if he didn't take it.

There's a lot of politics in boxing, and things are never as straight forward as they seem.

I found this interesting article a few days ago.

This shows that it would have been impossible for Roy to try and unify the 168 division, what he gets a lot of criticism for.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...dSDRJHPO6orcvQ

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon as always a good and insightful poster as far as the Rochi fight he was battling 2 things alcohol and the WBC ..Jones had to fight Rochi for the belt that was awarded to him after they took it off Rochi but Rochi no showed at the press conference for their fight and had a a ton of personal problems from what I read ..Add that to the fact that he chose to take the WBC to court so Roy had no choice but to find a replacement ..
Imperial1 is online now  Top