View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does size matter....ok we know it does...so more in mma, or boxing

at my local gym I recently overheard a conversation between one of our pro mma fighters (Eli Garshnick) and one of our pro boxers (Andres Taylor). Eli was talking about cutting weight...and basically saying that for him weight matters more in mma than boxing because you can use your weight for the wrestling..helping to keep a strong base, all that (he is a guy who comes, basically from a wrestling background). and i can see that logic...yet i also know that in mma many more skill sets come into it which makes any one veriable less meaningful...plus with BJJ you have grappling techniques that are all about position, flexability and even being long and lean.... Also....grapplers with a great deal of muscle (although this may not hold true for fat weight) tend to gas out fast. my gut feeling is that you can "use" your weight more in mma...yet i can see it being harder for a much smaller boxer to beat a bigger boxer than a much smaller mma guy beating a bigger mma (heel hooks and all that ****). Paradoxical, i know...but anyhow...
Johnstown is offline  Top