View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #170
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Arum turns down Schaefer's Offer for Donaire-Mares and Matthysse-Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm not justifying his actions. I'm explaining where they started to a bunch of morons that come on here and openly state they wish he were dead and can't accept that GBP is equally to blame here. What you quoted in no way indicates Arum was the one trying to cut out GB. It simply says Floyd was seeing what kind of deal he might be able to make without them. In the end, Floyd has used GBP for all his recent fights and would have done so under his offer to Pac. Not seeing that Arum is simply now turning these same terms on GBP is just fanboyizm. Blame Arum but if you don't realize the 'counter offer' was meant as a deal killer, well, you just aren't paying attention. GB doesn't want Mares facing Donaire. Even this piss poor matchmakers know he has no chance.
Why in the hell was the counter-offer any more of a dealkiller than the initial offer, which you yourself have already said was more "a taste of their own medicine" than anything legitimate? Your need to simultaneously frame this as a warranted response to Floyd bullshit whilst also portraying the turning down of the offer as some kind of duck/protection by Golden Boy is "fanboyizm" at its finest.

As for the tangential issues you seem so intent on making this about: So Mayweather's with Golden Boy when it helps your argument and isn't with them when it doesn't? Good to know. If Floyd had the capability to see what he could do without Golden Boy, then it is absurd to characterize his dumb offer (made when there was essentially already no chance of the fight taking place in the first half of 2012) as cosigned by the company, even if they would have handled the promotion.

This is what Arum himself was saying at that time:
Quote:
"I've never worked like this, really," Arum said. "If we get Manny and then Floyd to agree on a package, then my company would take a functional role, we would handle the nuts and bolts, the boxing aspects of the promotion. Of course, these investors, having made a fabulous investment in the fight, would have plenty to say about every aspect of it.
Quote:
"It's understandable because Richard is on the outside looking in," Arum said. "Who knows and who cares what Richard says? They have no contract with Floyd, that's fact. Just like Manny, aside from our contract with him, can choose who he wants representing him so can Floyd do the same thing. We don't terll Floyd or Manny who they can have working for them."
Schaefer certainly took it as Top Rank trying to cut Golden Boy out, especially when Koncz, who even Pacquiao fans realize is little more than a Top Rank lackey, went to Mayweather's gym.
purephase is offline  Top