View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #47
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Who has been Pacquiao's most "Prime" opponent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
wide punches because he was forced into brawling. watch round 1 and you would see cotto maintining his game plan with his usual straight and sharp jabs that kept pac at bay and actually took that round in the 3 judges eyes. pac was just faster and confused cotto with his angles. it also helped that pac enticed cotto to come inside by covering up.

i believe that if cotto just maintained discipline, he could have finished the fight and even have a good chance of winning on points.
I'm seeing what you're saying, but Cotto's technical and skill issues were also clear in the fight before Pacquiao against Joshua Clottey when Clueless Joe took over. I'd say he looked even worse there. I've never seen him so squared up and hunched so far forwards with so much weight on his front foot. It totally ****ed his balance and ability to maintain it while throwing punches. Not only that, but the punches and combinations themselves looked to be much slower and far from sharp.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd say that was the worst Cotto I've seen since he was badly drained at 140. He looked a bit more conditioned, quicker, and snappy against Manny later that year. He definitely got up for Manny, despite not having a grade-A team to supplement it.
JMP is offline  Top