View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Why do ppl always say Duran moved up 2 weightclasses to beat Leonard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Robinson fight Hearns or Duran. I think Tommy is a tough fight for anyone because of his varied styles of fighting. He could be a little standup at times and move straight back, but he came to fight, and his jab was one of he best ever.
Yeah, I don't know that he would. Schooling Craig Ehlo, Dan Majerle and Jeff Hornacek one-on-one is an easier match-up than running through Shaquille O'Neal (w/ Grant) David Robinson (w/ Rodman) and Patrick Ewing (w/ Oakley) head-to-head.

Quote:
I think Hearns is greater than Hagler all together. He fought more great fighters and moved up to different weights and I think the totality of his accomplishments eclipses Hagler. Not much , but a little. Marvin was a great middleweight. I would have liked to have seen him try to move up in weight and fight at light heavyweight. Whether people say he could not beat Spinks or not, it is something all fighters try and do eventually. And Hagler wanted all the lower weight legends to fight him. Naturally he should have been able to move up and fight Spinks.. And about Hearns over Hagler. if look at Hearns title winning fights. He beat Cuevas (10 title defense champion) Benitez (3 time champ) and Virgil Hill (10 title defenses and undefeated), then beat Duran at 154 at a weight Duran won a title at . Tommy moving around in weight and being first man to win titles in 4 and 5 divisions and first man to win the light heavyweight title (2 times) after winning the welterweight title. How many guys have won the light heavyweight title after winning the welt? And from a undefeated titlist who had 10 title defenses.
I agree one hundred percent. It's amazing to me how people look at Leonard-Hagler and Hagler-Spinks as two completely different situations because Leonard considered and toyed with the idea, while it didn't even cross Hagler's ****ing mind. You got fights at middleweight? Leonard has fights at Welterweight. Spinks needs you? You need Leonard! Bet SRL felt dumb when the most skilled fighter of all-time showed him how to beat him, to make him be the aggressor, don't let him counter...but if he'd won then '82, Hagler wouldn't of yet been the arguable Top 3middleweight we know him as but, overrated and dethroned by a natural welterweight. Which is what happened anyways, but there would be less to holler and groan over than -- 10 oz gloves. I never knew Hearns and Mugabi werent scheduled for 12 in a 20 foot ring. That's news.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top