View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Why do ppl always say Duran moved up 2 weightclasses to beat Leonard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
"Green" Leonard had already ran through a half-dozen welterweight contenders and beaten Benitez on the big stage at Caesar's Palace. "Green" Leonard didn't fight his fight. Angelo tells it, prior to the first bout:

"Duran's a heel-to-toe guy, he takes two steps to get to you. So the idea is don't give him the two steps, don't move too far away. The more distance you give Duran, the more effective he is. What you don't do against aggression is run from it, because then he picks up momentum. My guy won't run from him."

"He's soft. Leonard's the puncher in this fight. I think he's going to knock him out in 10 or 11 rounds because Duran hasn't destroyed anybody as a Welterweight... Ray's going to nail him. Ray's going to stop him in his tracks with the jab. Leonard's got so much talent they haven't seen it yet."
half a dozen welt contenders are not the level of Duran. I never said Duran was not great, the fact is Duran taught Ray to be a complete fighter, and all Ray had to do was incorporate that facet of fighting his fight and being disciplined into his thinking and he was a much better fighter. Look how much better Pernell was after he lost to Ramirez.
And I disagree with the more distance you give Duran the better. At times if Ray would move to his right Duran (Duran's left) was totally out of range to hit Ray. When Duran got close Ray held him. When Duran walked in Ray hit him at his range and moved out. Duran was afraid of Ray's punches at Ray's range. I cannot explain Angelo's thinking. Fighting Duran was a mistake . Boxing him worked easy for Ray.
MAG1965 is offline  Top