View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #180
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
I think it was business more than anything. I'm sure Bowe and his team knew Lewis was a risk, maybe Bowe was at a psychological disadvantage from the Olympics, but it sure didn't help that HBO offered Bowe easy millions for easier fights. Bowe and Rock Newman pimped out HBO, getting paid millions for mismatches like Dokes and Ferguson. Even the Holyfield rematch was expected to be a pretty easy fight.

I actually think Bowe being able to compete a high level during those Olympics with what was going on in his family life and win any medal at all was in itself, a great feat.

BOXING; Bowe and Lewis Are Fighting, But With Words and Dollars

By GERALD ESKENAZI
Published: May 14, 1993

"The zany heavyweight picture moved no closer to a showdown today despite a $12 million offer made by Riddick Bowe's manager to Lennox Lewis for a November match.
Rock Newman, who manages Bowe, passed around a letter today that he said he was sending to Dan Duva, who promotes Lewis. The letter proposes a pay-per-view fight with a $35 million net purse, $23 million going to Bowe and $12 million to Lewis...if Lewis doesn't accept the offer by Monday, the fight is apparently off."
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top