Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #31
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries v Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I have always felt the comparison to be a misguided one.

They both had good chins and fought out of a crouch, but that is where the similarity ends.
I think Jeffries was significantly better than Chuvalo,and, though his chin was not tested against big heavyweights ,which always left a question mark as far as I was concerned, the fact that he absorbed Fitz's shots in 2 fights convinced me that his chin was indeed top drawer.

I think he matches up poorly against big sharp shooting, fast heavyweights of modern times because he would not be able to rely on absorbing their shots and then wearing them down in the late rounds.
By then his face would be raw hamburger, and today's referees would have to rescue him before his stamina could be a factor .
He also would be not a giant feasting on lightheavyweights , but a small to average heavyweight , relying on his durability against bigger men, this worked for Marciano , but he had one punch ko power ,and was fighting men 190lbs /200lbs.

Jeffries did not have Marciano's power and he would be in a situation he had never encountered, being the smaller man against giants who not only outsized him but were in their primes instead of being old retired and ,recycled ex champs.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links